STAY IN THE KNOW
CARM (The CBSA Assessment Revenue Management) mandatory project to modernize the way CBSA assesses, collects, manages, and reports for commercial Importers of
Record, both resident and non-resident into Canada.
It is important to note this initiative is mandatory and must be complied with or you will not be able to import commercially into Canada.
Timeline of Release
CARM will be implemented in two stages
Release 1: May 25, 2021
- Register for the CARM Client Portal (CCP) and create your business account (limited to commercial importers, customs brokers, and trade consultants)
- Delegate access to your customs brokers (i.e., Delegation of Authority)
- Start managing commercial import transactions through the CCP, including CBSA monthly Statement of Accounts (SOAs)
- Gain access to CBSA Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) classification and duty/tax estimator tools, ability to request and track customs rulings
- Get new direct electronic payment options with the CBSA
Release 2: October, 2023
The following functionality will be available via the CCP:
- CCP registration for all Trade Chain Partners (TCPs)
- Registration for Canadian Business Number (BN) and CBSA programs
- Surety bond application for Release Prior to Payment (RPP) Privilege
- Commercial Accounting Declaration (CAD) – a new digital document for accounting imported goods with the CBSA
- New billing cycles and additional payment options with the CBSA
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
As a commercial importer do I have to register for CARM in order to import?
Yes, it is mandatory to register for CARM in order to import into Canada.
Do I need a Surety Bond in order to import into Canada?
Yes, it is mandatory and highly suggested, however there are two other ways to secure payment with CBSA, one being putting up a cash advance or paying per transaction (prior to import, which will cause delays in clearance)
When does CARM 2 take affect?
October 2nd 2023
How long does it take to get a Surety Bond?
Yes, we have a partner we are working with.
How can I pay my duties/taxes owing to CBSA?
This can be done from the CARM portal directly.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET A SURETY BOND?
Yes, we have a partner we are working with. This should say approx 30 days and we have a partner we are working with.
All Onboarding documents – https://ccp-pcc.cbsa-asfc.cloud-nuage.canada.ca/en/onboarding-documentation