We can’t hide from it, Brexit has happened and from 2300 hours on 31st December 2020, all movements of goods in and out of the EU are subject to additional documentation and customs clearance.
What we do/make:
Delicious handcrafted gourmet popcorn for snacking, sharing and gifting. For those sharing moments that matter. Wild and popular flavours such as Salted Caramel with Belgian Milk chocolate, Mature Blue cheese to Birthday Cake flavour with sprinkles.
While many small businesses are facing unprecedented challenges with covid and now with a no deal Brexit, business is still thriving, the multi-award winning gourmet popcorn brand. They have seen their online sales grow 500% month on month in the last 12 months.
The coronavirus pandemic has brought about huge challenges for the food industry – their business was wholesale, B2B and direct to cinemas, shops, distributors etc. Almost overnight those routes to market and revenue streams went quiet as traditional B2B customers closed their doors.
We export or import to and from: From humble beginnings, in a garden shed, the company is exporting to over 20 countries including Hong Kong, Japan, Portugal, Sweden, Germany, Denmark and France.
What challenges Brexit has caused us:
The company has experienced ingredient and packaging supply delays as well as logistical disruptions as a result of the introduction of new checks at the ports. They have had to undergo a period of training to get up to speed with the new documentation requirements needed to continue to export to the EU. They have had to focus efforts to increase production, rationalise their product lines whilst operating with reduced staff and social distancing. This is a significant investment cost for a start-up businesses.
How KlearNow.AI has helped:
KlearNow have been incredibly patient and helpful with guiding us through the new customs paperwork and requirements needed in order for us to continue to export. The Brexit transition has been stressful for our business but KlearNow.AI have really helped.
Laura Jackson, Director says: “We had to quickly broaden our sales channels by jumping into online delivery and social media marketing with both feet. While some sales channels have taken a hit during the pandemic, we have found that export continues to grow and there seems to be a sustained demand for British gourmet popcorn even during challenging times. Despite Covid-induced shipping and supply problems, the market has proved to be buoyant.
I think is incredibly promising, and just shows the commitment that we have from our customers around the world. The crisis has also brought to light the innovation that the domestic market is capable of.”
Now PS are looking to Brexit proof their business. The PopCorn company have had to focus efforts to increase production, rationalise product lines whilst operating with reduced staff and social distancing. This is a significant investment cost for a start-up businesses. Whilst there are government grants available for training they do not cover the vast majority of the investments needed to continue to trade in the EU.
Laura Jackson, Director says: “Whilst Britain has a vibrant and competitive market and there are lots of opportunities at our doorstep, export is still a growth area and part of our strategy. We will continue to Brexit proof our business and try our best to overcome potential disruption in the New Year. However, the requirements for new documentation and the introduction of new checks at the ports will undeniably create logistical disruption.”
Since its launch in 2016, multi-award winning gourmet popcorn brand, has gone from humble beginnings in a garden shed to supplying top retailers including Harrods, Ocado, the Coo-op, John Lewis etc and exporting to over 20 countries worldwide.
“We are feeling positive despite the uncertainty. If this year has brought us anything positive, it’s a strengthened sense of community through support for independent businesses both here in the UK and abroad.” Says Laura – Director.
About Popcorn Company
Launched by cousins Laura and Sam, who both gave up high-flying city jobs to pursue their passion for baking and creating, something they’ve been doing together since they were old enough to reach the magimix, the entrepreneurial co-founders bravely ditched secure, high-paying careers to fulfill their passion to create delicious gourmet popcorn.
Taking this risk has certainly paid off with the pair seeing big growth, with profits doubling year on year. They have gained listings with well-known UK retailers such as John Lewis, Selfridges, Harrods, Ocado and the Co-op.
They are the first in Europe to launch a fully vegan range of popcorn flavours with their innovative Mini Pop! Range. They have won a number of awards for both their packaging and great tasting products.
From humble beginnings, in a garden shed, the company is exporting to over 20 countries including Hong Kong, Japan, Portugal, Sweden and France.
Vegetarian and Gluten free.
- Salted Caramel – Sea Salted Caramel with Belgian Milk Chocolate (Great Taste award winning 2017).
- Say Cheese! – Cheddar Cheese Popcorn (Great Taste award winning 2018).
- Blue Cheese. Mature Blue Cheese Popcorn.
- Goats Cheese. Goats Cheese & Black Pepper Popcorn.
- Sweet Cheesus – A mix of Cheddar Cheese and Caramel.
- Berry-licious – Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Popcorn (Great Taste award winning 2018).
- Butterly Nuts – Peanut Butter Caramel Popcorn with Roasted Peanut Halves.
- Pop N Choc – Chocolate Caramel Popcorn with Belgian Milk Chocolate.
- Pecan Pie – Caramel Popcorn with Roasted Pecan Pieces.
- Cherry Bakewell – Caramel almond popcorn with real cherry pieces.
- Birthday Cake– Vanilla caramel popcorn with white chocolate and birthday cake
- Rainbow Gourmet Popcorn – Multicoloured Vanilla Caramel popcorn.
- Cookies & Cream Popcorn – Cookies and cream Caramel popcorn
- Butterscotch –Vegan Salted Butterscotch Caramel popcorn.
- Christmas Pudding – Festive Spice Caramel popcorn.
Available from: Ocado, Amazon, Selfridges, Harrods
Mini Pop! flavours: Vegan and gluten free.
- Sweet & Salty – The perfect balance of Sweet and Salty
- Vegan Toffee – The first Vegan Toffee Popcorn in the UK. Deliciously sweet with a butterscotch flavour.
- Sea Salt – Seasoned with a sprinkle of the perfect amount of sea salt.
- Salt & Vinegar – A British classic flavour. Zingy, light and wonderfully tasty.
- White Truffle – Luxury and fragrant lightly salted Truffle Popcorn. A unique flavour for all the senses.
Available from: Ocado, Amazon, Selfridges, Harrods, John Lewis Food Hall